My Blog List

Friday, March 1, 2013

I'm a connoisseur of old school cartoons. That's just how I was raised, to enjoy the classics, well classic for me at least. Every time I go home to visit my parents, I take full advantage of the fact that they have Direct TV, because they have channels such as Boomerang and Nicktoons. Both channels show the classic cartoons that I grew up with back in the early 90s. Whether it's Scooby Doo, or maybe a little Doug, I really enjoy older things in general. 

My father just so happens to be an elderly man. I won't go into detail about his age, but let's just say that he will be turning 65 next month. Growing up, my family would listen to a lot of oldies, and watch a lot of television, and movies from my father's time period. Of course it was never torture or anything, because i quite enjoy the things of the past. I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't enjoy the old things, and they are more into the modern music, television, and movie scene. Not to say that I don't like modern things as well, because I do. I just know the classics when I see, and or hear it. Frank Sinatra just so happens to be my favorite musical artist, and one of my favorite movies is the Wizard of OZ. My father even impacted my other siblings musically and visually. My little brother is a huge fan of The Beatles, and my eldest brother really enjoys Gumby, and creating stop motion videos with clay. 

When you compare the shows that they show on television, to the shows they used to air when we were children, you can see an obvious difference. The things they air on television nowadays, seem to be so much more vulgar and risque, when you compare the cartoons we watched as a child. But are they really that different? Sure, now we have Family Guy, and American Dad, but back in the day we had Ah! Real Monsters, and Ren and Stimpy. All four of those shows are pretty vulgar when you really think about it. Maybe the vulgarity simply "flew over our heads" as children. It seems to me that our societies have definitely changed when it come to what is acceptable television. Dirty jokes, and bad words are more acceptable nowadays because everyone has just become so lacks in that sense, or at least that is the way it would seem. It can be argued either way. Maybe it's just that back in the day, writers were more clever when it came down to including subliminal messages, and hidden agendas. Maybe it's just that writers are too lazy to come up with ways of hiding the inappropriate, and the vulgar. What do you think is going on here? Is our culture today a factor for the way television has become?

2 comments:

  1. I think there is a huge change between our generation's entertainment and past generations'. I really enjoyed watching a lot of Disney Channel shows when I was a kid, but when I watch the shows now, they lack many elements that old TV shows. I definitely agree with writers being lazy. All the shows back then sort of taught a moral or lesson, while the shows today don't have as much substance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it fun to go back and rewatch old TV shows and catch jokes that were obviously aimed at adults rather than children. YouTube is full of videos showing those. While I do agree that dirty jokes aired over television nowadays has increased, I don't think it has increased all that much. Dexter's Laboratory, for instance, actually had an episode or two that Cartoon Network could not air due to vulgarism. However, I also agree that it had become more apparent since.

    ReplyDelete