My Blog List

Friday, March 29, 2013

For the past few months it has been what I like to call, movie awards season, though I'm sure other people call it the same thing. From the Oscars, to the Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards, every television station seems to have their own version of a movie award show. Guess every station wants to have decent ratings at least once a year. But are these award shows really going the rightful movies and actors their justice?

When it comes to the "Best Actor/Actress" awards, I would have to say that I agree with the winners for the most part, but when it comes to the "Best Movie" award, I can't always say that I agree. Let's go back to the Oscars for a moment. Best actor went to Daniel Day Lewis, and best actress went to Jennifer Lawrence. Now I have not seen the movie "Lincoln," but I'm sure he did an excellent job, he surely looks like good ole Abe, and Jennifer Lawrence is an amazing actress all the time, especially in her role in "Silver Linnings Playbook." Best supporting actor went to Christoph Waltz, and he deserved it for sure. He is an amazing actor, and he did an excellent job in "Django Unchained." Anne Hathaway took best supporting actress with her in "Les Misérables," and I couldn't be happier about that. That is definitely one of my favorite musicals, and she was so amazing as Fontine. Now when it comes to best movie of the year, I can't say that I'm on board with that. Is it just me, or are the winner of this award always a movie that has some kind of political message in there. Maybe it just bothers me because I'm not a fan of politics, but I don't believe the very best movie always wins this award. Maybe it should be broken up into categories, because how can a superhero movie, or a musical even compete with something such as "Argo?" It just seems to me that politics and the government are just a little TOO involved in our day to day lives. You literally cannot get away from them, they are everywhere. And I'm not even talking about some kind of crazy conspiracy theory. You can see it for yourself. Over the years, the government has done as much as they can to practically control our lives. I'm not saying having a government is bad, but society nowadays seems to depend too much on them. It is as if we can't blow our nose without having to ask them whether we should use a tissue, or our sleeve. The fact that we allow them to influence our choice in movies should open your eyes. OUR MOVIES PEOPLE! They are trying to control our entertainment! And they are succeeding.

Another thing I would like to quickly point out is that there is not always a secret political message embedded writhing a movie. The fact that people were saying that The Dark Night Rises featured the villain Bane was only because of Romney's Bain. Bane is a comic book character people! He broke Batman physically, and mentally. There was no better Nolan could help the Batman trilogy go out with a bang! People read too much into things. Movies are for entertaining, not so much to preach to us about politics and junk. What happened to giving the award to the movie that had excellent acting and a really good story?

Now I'm not angry or anything. It just bothers me that undeserving people get so much praise for their so called work. Our society has changed, and maybe you think it's for the best, and maybe your think it's for the worst. Maybe you'll think twice next time you vote for your "favorite" movie...maybe not.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree. I think it's crazy the way some people seem to collect awards in mass amounts during movie awards season. In my opinion, it's turning into a popularity contest, and the best actors and actresses are not winning the awards any longer. If our movie and film awards plan on sticking around for years to come, something needs to be done about this as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way I look at awards, there has to be a job and critic for everything. Though the movie is to entertain individuals, actors, directors and writers much find a way to find a way into self glory or "promotion" by the people. It is sad that we do follow specifically what the trend is and what a group of people say is "fab or shab". Just like everything in life, we look to "professionals" to find out what is good food, great fashion, a good movie, and even a "good" government.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree with saying that Argo was not well deserving of the best movie of the year. I think that a movie that puts the effort and time into making it historically accurate is a movie well deserving of an award like best movie of the year. The government is not trying to force us to watch this movie nor did they want the entire problem that the movie is based on to happen. The only way a movie is produced is if screen writer finds a story and turns into something appealing to a producer. It doesn't get backed by the government becasue we live in a capitalist society where movies that are going to sell will get made and the ones that sell the best will get awards! Yes, we do look to the professionals when making our decisions, but I feel more people consider pro athletes or super models the professionals and not the people who earn a college degree and actually know what is going on in a particular field. These people are the real professionals.

    ReplyDelete